Friday, March 18, 2011

Fallfish Cakes, NH's Largest "Native" Minnow is Delicious!



We cooked and ate the Fallfish yesterday
 We decided to make fish cakes, partly because we were afraid of the taste of this fish and partly because we had the right ingredients.... So here is the recipe you've been waiting for!

Ingredients:
  • Fallfish
  • Garlic Powder
  • Salt
  • Onion
  • Celery
  • Ritz crackers
  • Oil
  • Egg
  •  
    Clean and gut the fish leaving the head and skin on.
     Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray. Add the fish and dust it with garlic powder and salt.

    Roll the fish in the foil and put it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. (there is no need to preheat)
    Unwrap the fish and let it cool, it should smell really good now but it will be a little slimy.


    Saute onion and celery in hot oil and set it aside

    Pull the fish  meat off the bone and separate it from the skin.
    Don't  worry about a few bones getting mixed in

    Stick the fish, a few Ritz crackers, a little bit of egg, and the onions and celery in a blender and blend until it's a pile of mush. If you are doing this correctly it should look awful!


    Heat oil in a pan until it's hot, and ball the mushy fish up and smash it into a couple of patties and drop them into the pan

    Cook until they are golden brown on both sides

    Dry them on a paper towel
    
    We Have A WINNER!
    
    AWESOME!

    
    To our surprise this was the best tasting fish so far! Thanks Fallfish for being a part of the quest and a part of us!

    5 comments:

    1. Nice looking cakes! I bet they were tasty. Maybe next time you could try making falafallfish? Get it?
      Cheers

      ReplyDelete
    2. FALAFALLFISH! haha That's a great idea! Maybe we need a re-do!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Guys, what a great blog! I haven't fished in over twenty years, and I just got back into it this past month. Much to my surprise, my three daughters (7-13) all wanted to try fishing. We've gone a couple times now, and they love it. It's great family time too.

      Anyhow, today the girls were with their mother, and I went to the Isinglass in Rochester with my girlfriend (it's OK, I'm divorced) for a cheap date of fishing. No word of a lie, she caught about twenty fish, and I caught a half dozen or so myself. We were hoping for a trout, but it seems like anything but trout were biting today. In my quest to find out the names of some of what we caught, I came across your blog. Specifically, I had identified some of what we caught today as fall-fish. In the guide I was looking at, the description of fall-fish indicated that they taste terrible and are not eaten. "Bullshit", I thought to myself, "somebody eats these things" and with that I did a Google search, and I found you guys. The fact that I live in NH too is just icing on the cake.

      Anyhow, I think what you guys are doing is both great, and hilarious. Thanks for taking on this noble quest, and for sharing your experiences!

      ReplyDelete
    4. We're glad you enjoyed it, we're having a great time, the biggest thing we've learned is that minnows are yummy, so catch and eat a fallfish if you want! Let us know how it turns out.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Fall fish and creek chub (genus semotilus) make excellent substitutes for sardines and herring in pickling and smoking. Vinegar and smoke both make the fiddly little bones easier to handle, too.

      ReplyDelete