Friday, May 18, 2012

Flying Bucket Mouths

Hey Kids, wow it's been a long time since we've last blogged and we miss you too!
Yesterday I (Clay) was poking around the North Country Angler fly shop in North Conway and talking to Bill the owner. I mentioned that I have not done nearly enough fly fishing. He asked me what I was fishing for next and I said I think I want to catch some rock bass on my way to work in the morning so he sold me a couple of flies. I don't remember what they were called!


 So this morning on my way to work I stopped in Center Harbor and tied on the fly and went to after the fish. I bounced this fly all over the rocks that usually produce large goggle eyes and saw nothing.


 Then to my right just a few few from the dock I was fishing from I saw a couple of Large Mouth Bass sitting on their spawning bed.
Look closely for the bucket mouths



 I am not a romantic person so I had no trouble deciding to break up their tryst for my entertainment. So I started bouncing these flies around their heads. They completely ignored me because they were in the throws of passion. But I kept going, and going until finally they had enough and lashed out at my fly in anger. FISH ON!





 I have never caught a large fish on a fly before, or even a small trout, I was so happy to be fighting this fish and I had no clue what I was doing. After a 5 minute battle I wrestled this fish out of the water, took a few pictures and a minute later he was back with his best girl doing naughty fish things. If you have never caught a bass on a fly before I think you should give it a shot. It was one of the most fun fish I have ever caught!

No comments:

Post a Comment